Tuesday, September 16, 2008

all or nothing

A blogger I read recently wrote this before shutting down his blog:

"i want to do is poke holes in the doctrines that frum people follow. i want to explore inconsistencies especially in the nutty world of kiruv."

He removed the blog, apparently, because "the people who stick to the dogma will do it no matter where it leads them. the people that think the dogma is crazy don't need my ammunition."

What ever happened to the middle path? What ever happened to poking fun at ourselves and what we do? Why does everything have to be "love it or leave it?" Why is it better to be silent?

(Yeah, I know, I've been pretty silent myself-- but I'm working on it.)

I love laughing at the kiruv silliness-- with the warm teasing I would use towards a beloved sister-- and none of that changes the fact that some of my favorite shabboses are with kiruv-happy folk.

I think that it's healthy to constantly re-examine what we believe and why we believe it. I think that it's okay to keep halacha for unorthodox reasons-- because there are a million "reasons" to do any given thing.

Am I crazy?

No comments: